How do we edit our Mac computer's host file to see our site on the development server?
Your Project Manager will send along the development server IP and dev site name.
- Click on Launchpad icon to view all apps
- Find Terminal app and open
- Type sudo nano /etc/hosts and press Enter
- Enter admin password, which is usually the password for your computer login
- Use the arrow keys to move your cursor down to the bottom of the entries
- Type IP number and then development site (exmaple: 123.234.345.456 dev.sitename.com) given to you by your Account Manager
- Once done, hold down the Control key and press letter O
- Then press Control and X to exit Terminal
- Go to your browser and type the dev site url
- If your Account Manager gave you a username and password to view the site, enter it now.